I have a potted plant, what I think is a New Guinea Impatiens, that sits in my living room near the window. it has grown very large and may soon be too big for it's pot.
I think that this plant is, in part at least, a descendant of an alien species. a species that does not live on our planet, but came to visit once. this plant is very animated, that's not to say that you can see it move, but it responds very efficiently to the light in the room. it quickly leans towards the nearest window, whenever it is moved. it is getting quite tall, it is twice the height of the pot it is growing in.
the main stems of the plant, I guess you could say, the stalks, are primarily translucent. you can easily see sun or lamp light pass through the two main arteries, showing veins and probably what is some weird green goo inside. the leaves are serrated, like a knife. the fine edges are jagged but small so that you may not see them before you grab it. along the leaf stems, there are tiny clear beads, which can only really be described as 'blobs,' all along the skinnier stems, hanging like tiny sinister fruit.
the plant has flowers that are pink. they are small and so far have never exactly blossomed. they break through the pod and open a little, and then very quickly they just fall off and rot in the soil of the pot. you can hardly even touch them, even when they are young because they will just fall off. but more interesting than that are the long green spears that extend from the back of each flowerbud, spiking straight backwards like the hook on a fishing lure. the pink flowers are just a gimmick, the plant wants you to like it.
this plant I believe, has alien genes in it. I believe that the alien is a plant-animal hybrid that sowed it's wild oats on Earth. I am also tempted to think of it as a weed, especially when I think of re-planting it outside so that I can get rid of it. I'm pretty sure it would take over.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment