Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mavericks/Jazz @ Dallas 11.03.09

Mavericks nov 3

so, I'm at home, listening to the Mavericks game on the interweb. Mavericks/Jazz @ Dallas. the Mavericks website (and most teams I think) allows you to stream the audio of almost every game of the season through their website. it's fucking amazing. thank you to Mark Cuban for that (Mark Cuban's influence on the NBA's web presence I think is probably immeasurable at this point. either he, or somebody over there, is pushing for the NBA to be a force for income in the future, and is extremely generous in the process). so thank you NBA for the free high-quality content. thank you!

so I am at home streaming the game and making dinner and smoking a little and general having a killer time. but as far as the game, the Mavericks are losing. steadily they're down by 12, then down by 14, then 15, 16 for a long stretch of minutes. the team is clunky, they're missing shots, weak defense. the Jazz stay up by double digits.

anyway, since I am on the NBA website, I remembered that I had been meaning to buy the NBA Broadband League Pass from the website. you get EVERY GAME in streaming video and you can watch up to four games at a time. I know it sounds ridiculous, and it is. hundreds of professional basketball games, sometimes four at a time. but I love the NBA and I want to do it. I had already priced the available packages (cable, broadband) and the broadband version really did sound like a good value. I get to the website with my credit card and they have a WHOLE NEW OFFER on the site, a cheaper broadband package, where you can pay less and not get as many games.

Choose 7 Teams.

ultimately, the point of this is Choose 7 Teams.

this is a delicious dilemma. yes, I want to choose 7 teams. 7 is an excellent number. I do not need to watch every game by every team and in fact 7 is the perfect number of teams for me to keep track of. now that is lucky.

oh choose 7 teams, a list, my favorite 7 teams in the NBA as of right now. so fantastic, two things I love, the NBA and lists. I get one shot at this list and then all the teams are locked down for the season. now is the time!

mavericks
rockets
spurs
nuggets
heat
knicks
and yes, the cavaliers

There It Is. Choose 7 Teams. it is tasty.

truthfully, I don't even want to watch the Cavaliers, but the reason I don't want to watch them is because of the reason I do want to watch them, and that is the big lump of Shaq right in the middle of the floor (or left behind under the basket). I do not think the experiment will work, or look good, but I sure have to see what happens. it didn't work for the Suns - what are you thinking Cleveland? you've already seen this play out!

anyway. my 7 teams were chosen. the Mavs/Jazz game audio is still streaming and the Mavericks are still losing. so for a second I'm thinking, ugh, do I really want to get this game in video just so I can watch the Mavs lose at home? of course I go ahead and fire it up and *click* my NBA Broadband League Pass gets engaged for the first time, the inaugural game, in beautiful bright color right there on my computer screen.

and right then is when Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks forward, said to himself 'no more' and took over the game entirely by himself. in the third quarter Dirk started scoring, and the he kept scoring and then he scored some more. the stats don't lie - Dirk had 29 points in the 4th quarter, setting a franchise record. it was amazing - it was the reason we watch basketball. Dirk ran by defenders like they were standing still, making every basket. and then, when they of course started fouling him, he made every free throw too. ridiculous. he looked as calm as a zen master.

Jason Terry threw in some points, Jason Kidd made a killer 3 at the end and also some free throws. the Mavericks beat the Utah Jazz by 11 points.

Dirk wasn't having it. he just decided to win.

thank you NBA Broadband League Pass.

No comments: