wonderful wonderful. it's a good way to start out right? might as well ride the wave of a good mood while it lasts. Paul Desmond, saxophone player, is mostly known for the music he made with the Dave Brubeck Quartet and the hit single 'Take Five.'I don't know anyone who loves jazz music like I do. or at least, if I do, I don't know that I do. but my uncle Keith, who passed away not long ago, loved jazz music like I do. and he had many CDs by jazz artists like I do. fast forward into the future, Christmas 2008: my aunt lives in a townhouse in Sutton, England, where she still has many things that were treasured by my uncle, her husband.
my aunt Judy is an amazing shaman-esque woman, wise and old (old in the best sense of the word), she knows plants and art, she knows medicine and food, she loves life. she can cure a headache or a tense lower back by massaging one's feet. she has a beautiful garden out in the back, where herbs grow wild.
she still has a few shelves of jazz CDs that Keith left behind when he passed away, and when I went to visit her last week, she asked if there were any that I wanted to take with me. immediately I got excited, knowing that Keith had collected some classics that I had already been looking for and was preparing to buy off of Amazon. all in all she let me take 9 CDs, 9 whole CDs of classic jazz music, the most swinging and cool sounds, the most style, flush with warm history.
Paul Desmond had a formidable solo career as a saxophone player, flourishing as a part of the "West Coast Scene" right around the same time that Stan Getz hit it big with his new Bossa Nova style. three Paul Desmond CDs made it into the stack of nine that I took with me and two of them are bona fide classics, Bossa Antigua, recorded in 1964 and Take Ten, a follow-up to Take Five recorded with guitarist Jim Hall, recorded in 1963. wonderful wonderful.

No comments:
Post a Comment